Exterior – Lawn Tips
• Remove garden tools, hoses, toys and bicycles, especially from the front yard.
• Lawn chairs and picnic tables should stay. They create a warm effect.
• Rake your lawn to keep it clear of grass trimmings and leaves.
• Mow and water your lawn regularly.
• Trim lawn edges at walkways and driveways.
• Cultivate a thick, healthy lawn with fertilizers and weed killers. Re-seed bald areas.
• If you have pets, use your pooperscooper daily.
Tree and Shrub Tips
• Fertilize your shrubs to maintain their healthy look.
• Remove all dead or ailing bushes and replace with healthy specimens.
• Prune bushes and trees so their shapes are well defined.
• Plant smaller bushes in front of larger existing plants for depth. Plant in odd numbered groupings and various colors for contrast.
• Mask unpleasant views with hedges or plantings.
• Foundation plantings that stay green all year are best.
• Ground cover and mulch are attractive and have a “finished” affect.
Interior – Wall Tips
• Make sure walls are free of fingerprints and smudges.
• Check tiled walls for missing pieces, loose grout.
• Fix large cracks and holes.
• Update wall hardware, towel bars, tissue holders and clothes hooks.
• Choose light, neutral wall colors.
• Paint moldings and wainscoting the same color as walls.
• Create an illusion of expansion using mirrors and open, uncluttered walls.
(Note that kitchens and baths are the two most important interior selling areas)
• Be sure all fixtures are immaculate and in good working order.
• Check that the caulking is tight and not discolored. Replace as necessary.
• Check for proper flushing of toilets and make sure handles are secure.
• Repair or replace loose pipe insulation.
• A well placed plant can soften a cold bathroom.
• Remove ashes and clean the fireplace when not in use.
• Check fireplace screens for holes and glass for cracks.
• Be sure the mantel and hearth are in good condition.
• Have a fire going on cold, wintry days.
• Use props in and around fireplace (logs, equipment, decorative fans, etc).
• Be sure the appliances to be sold with the home are in good working condition.
• Appliances should sparkle. Clean them inside and out.
• When selecting new appliances, choose the same color as the ones you have.
• Be careful of lingering cooking odors on showing days.
• Store away small appliances on showing days.
• Clean windows until they sparkle.
• Freshen worn or flaky paint.
• Check awnings and shutters for holes, rips, or missing parts.
• Make sure windows move freely. Repair cracked panes and holes in screens.
• Keep window sashes, storms and screens at the same position.
• Open all window treatments fully.
• Turn on at least one light in each room – even in the day time.
• Remove distracting objects from windows (knickknacks, portable air conditioners).
Meet a Macdonald & Wood Sotheby's International Realty agent HERE